How can I get rid off annoying error message in windows 10 (help needed)

Discussion in 'SW Helpdesk' started by MRVJ3004, Mar 16, 2019.

1. MRVJ3004

MRVJ3004 Registered User

Hi Hello,
    I'm new to B4A.

Recently my system attacked by malware (Ransomware). Some how I managed to recover my system (currently running windows 10) and my important personal files as well (but I did lost most of the files). Now my system is running as normal but there are some lag and slowing down. More over my Windows Update and Windows Defender no longer working and I don't know how to restart them back to normal. I've tried many method from many different website but still failed.

The thing is when I logging in to windows I getting some annoying error message saying "windows cannot files" (please refer attached picture).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've tried to repair my windows 10 using "Windows 10 Media Tool". Nothing much changed after the repair and still windows update, windows defender not back to normal (now services found in "services.msc") and those 2 error still popping up as soon as logging to windows.

If anyone have had came across these problem before if anyone have a solid solution please advice me so then I can fix my system as I don't do a fresh installation. Since year 2009 I haven't do any fresh installation until now. The only thing I did was Upgraded From windows 7 to windows 10 when Microsoft push free upgrade many years back.

I hopping for solution and hopping to get fixed the system.

Thanks million in advance for those who helping.

Thanks & Regards
    MR.Vik.J

H4nZ83 likes this.
  2. €XC€PTiON™

€XC€PTiON™ Registered User

Since you have recovered your important files, would it not make more sense to clean install the OS? Especially since you do not know yet all that was changed on your system...

Based on your error messages though, it appears the system is attempting to run a program which is no longer present. You can see the programs that are loaded when your system starts.

Check which apps will run from your user startup folder:
    Code:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4026268/windows-10-change-startup-apps
    Check services & programs run (from Windows Registry) when booting using msconfig:
    Code:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4026130/windows-how-to-open-msconfig-in-windows-10
    If you should find any references to the offending program, simply delete or uncheck entries...

H4nZ83 likes this.
  3. MRVJ3004

MRVJ3004 Registered User

Thank you very much for your kind reply and great advice.

I can do a fresh installation, but for me it's a lengthy process because I got install many apps, driver, 3rd party software and many more. So actually I don't want to do that. If I'm able to restart Windows Defender and Windows Update than that would be more than enough for me.

Unfortunately i haven't found a fix for those two services as believe the registry has corrupted and the service aren't there in services.msc.

In the mean time I will try to solve/fix as you advice above.

Thanks & Regards
    MR.Vik.J

H4nZ83 likes this.
  4. MRVJ3004

MRVJ3004 Registered User

Hi there,

As per your advice I successfully disabled those two annoying errors from "start up" apps.
    I've just notice after you've told me to do so. refer to picture below.

[​IMG]

thanks again as now I don't get any of those two errors. And I'm still finding a way to reactivate Windows Update service And Windows Security service. If any one know how to do so kindly please advice me. that's would be great help.

Thanks again & Regards
    MR.Vik.J

H4nZ83 likes this.
  5. €XC€PTiON™

Since you say that "Windows Defender" and "Windows Update" does not appear in services.msc, it may be an indication that the two services have been disabled entirely...

Open up the Group Policy Editor: run gpedit.msc

Go to Computer Configuration|Administrative Templates|Windows Components|Windows Defender:

[​IMG]

Double click "Windows Defender" folder and check that no Windows Defender policies have been configured:

[​IMG]

Do the same for Computer Configuration|Administrative Templates|Windows Components|Windows Update.

Then check User Configuration|Administrative Templates|Windows Components|Windows Update:

[​IMG]

Confirm that none of the policies have been configured.

If any policies have been configured, then Right-Click|Edit the policy and set to desired state. Save. Then reboot. After reboot, check that the services are once again running by using services.msc.

Hope that helps...

Last edited: Mar 18, 2019
    MRVJ3004 and H4nZ83 like this.
  6. go

gonzalo2600 Registered User

In the server of 2 companies for which I perform technical service, was also affected by the ransomware, so from there to all my clients I install kaspersky antiransomware, so far none was affected and according to reports several attacks were protected. I give you the link

H4nZ83 likes this.
  7. H4

H4nZ83 Registered User

8. Wonderman

Wonderman is a Trusted Warez PosterWonderman DEV Guild Member DEV Guild

My suggestion: Do not waste too much time on it. Just save your personal files on external harddrive. Then use Ubuntu Linux to format it and Reinstall windows 10.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2019
    omidsolo, MRVJ3004 and H4nZ83 like this.
  9. H4

H4nZ83 Registered User

try Autoruns from Sysinternals it can show all of your autoruns(startup menu, registry, services) and edit or delete it (you must run as adminstrator from file menu)
    and dont forget to use the process explorer to see what are running on your system

you just need to download the sysinternal suite it was a free tool from microsoft, and i often using it to remove malware on my pc
    and dont forget to enable the check on virustotal.com option -> scan Option..
    both on autoruns and process explorer

on autoruns check for Everythings Tabs

Happy Hunting

Last edited: Mar 29, 2019
    MRVJ3004 likes this.
  10. Warax

Warax Honorary Member Honorary Member V.I.P DEV Guild

Backup important data --> Format your drive --> Install a fresh copy of windows and make sure it is clean --> install security software (recommend Norton) --> scan your files

Code:
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Last edited: Mar 31, 2019
  11. hs111

hs111 Registered User

<If I'm able to restart Windows Defender and Windows Update than that would be more than enough for me.>

Windows Repair from tweaking com can do that, and more.

MRVJ3004 and H4nZ83 like this.
  12. skimr

skimr Registered User

13. MRVJ3004

MRVJ3004 Registered User

Hi there, thank you very much for your advice.

I've tried this and nothing has changed that's why I ended up posted a thread in BO4 to find solution to fix my system without clean install.

Thanks anyway. Appreciated.

14. MRVJ3004

MRVJ3004 Registered User

Hi there,

I never heard of "tweaking" before but I will try and will give feedback. hopefully it will work.

thank in advance.

15. MRVJ3004

MRVJ3004 Registered User

Hi,

It's been many years I stopping using any kind of antivirus software. Once upon a time I've been using Nod32, Avast, Avira, Mcfee, kaspersky.
    But after I understand about Windows Defender then I stopped using any other.

since then I purely depend Windows Defender because It does the great but it was my mistake that my system been attacked by ransomware.

thanks anyway for your suggestions.

16. MRVJ3004

MRVJ3004 Registered User

Hi €XC€PTiON™

I really appreciate your advice. you are a star. I found the same policies on my windows 10 too but they are quite different though. please refer the images below...

Windows Defender -

[​IMG]

Windows Update -

[​IMG]

So above are the screenshots from my windows 10 pro. when i compare yours with mine the contents different. So I'm a bit unsure which need to be set to desire and which one not to be. Can you please advice me because I believe that tweaking this policies may bring back the Windows Defender and Windows Update to service.msc. Hopefully I can get them back to the services.

I will follow your advice before try others advice because I want to learn/know more in dept so then I can understand more how the windows policies and services are actually working in the background while we using it.

Please help me.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
    MRVJ3004

17. €XC€PTiON™

@MRVJ3004 - Unfortunately, I am not running Windows 10. Therefore I cannot say which of your policies should or should not be configured.

I did find some links you may try with step by step guides:

Code:
    https://smallbusiness.chron.com/enable-windows-update-windows-registry-56440.html
    Code:
    https://www.howto-connect.com/turn-on-and-off-windows-defender-10/
    If none of those links help, maybe someone here who runs Windows 10 can guide you from here...

18. MRVJ3004

MRVJ3004 Registered User

@€XC€PTiON™ -

Thanks again for your reply. As I referred those 2 links above, they actually have mentions quite similar method which I've tried before. It's okay though I will borrow my friends laptop and will try to copy the same configuration to my laptop.

anyway thank you very much.

19. MRVJ3004

MRVJ3004 Registered User

To the thread viewers and for upcoming viewers - BO4

Please share how to reset group policy to default in windows 10. Since I posted this thread in BO4 I'va fixed my system almost 60% - 70%. the remaining is just restart Windows Defender & Windows Update back to service.msc.

I have to thank you all of you for your kind help & advice. I've learned much from you guys.

Thank a million in advance.

20. JonArbuckle

JonArbuckle is a Trusted Warez PosterJonArbuckle the orange cat Staff Member Super Moderator DEV Guild Reverser

reinstall the system. The trojan seems to have changed many registry entries. (A fresh clean installation)

MRVJ3004 likes this.