1. We are not accepting any new account registrations at this time.

Keyboard Corsair K95 RGB - frequent disconnects

Discussion in 'Smalltalk / Helpdesk' started by poEgBcmuyI, Oct 8, 2019.

1. poEgBcmuyI

poEgBcmuyI Registered User

PROBLEM:
    I got Corsair K95 bought a long time ago. The problem with it is that for the past few days I got disconnects every 15-60 seconds. it makes it impossible to code (for instance during disconnects the key remains pressed indefinetly and I need to wait to reconnect and delete the entire giberrish). I can't RMA it because originally I RMA'ed the non-rgb version due to broken LEDs and received this one. Corsair said that they won't even give me clues on how to repair it because the warranty has expired. I remember that the previous version had similar flaw when accidentally exposed to water and the problem tend to solve itself by drying but this one wasn't caused by flooding of any type. The issue is that I can't afford a cheap mechanical replacement at the moment, so if anybody got any idea on how to fix the problem of disconnects, I would be much obliged.

I already tried:
    • cleaning it extensively
    • drying
    • verifying USB connectivity
    • changing/resetting keyboard BIOS

BG:
    Some of you know that I got rly difficult life situation due to which my uploads are infrequent. Despite the fact that I am not a bad programmer (was in 1% of the best graduates) I got real trouble finding job with my disability. To make it worse I worked for the company for last two months that went bankrupt so basically did it for free and was never paid. So I don't have job again. As some of you know I am also coding as a volonteer for a non-profit organization that save foxes, so I really need to fix the issue ASAPilly.

2. sw0rmz

sw0rmz is a Trusted Warez Postersw0rmz Moderator Staff Member Moderator Reverser

I had an issue with my K70 RGB (cherry blue) after I spilled some coffee on it. Keys were stuck down and LEDs would flicker all the time.

I purchased a gallon of 99% Isopropyl alcohol off Amazon and flooded the entire keyboard with it. This was a latch ditch effort.. it was either this or the trash.

After the great flood, I put the keyboard outside in the sun for a few minutes to heat up and dry off. It worked out.. still using the keyboard right now.

3. poEgBcmuyI

I have just completely disassembled the keyboard and cleaned every part, there was nothing wet or damp inside, Isopropyl then, its like ~2.5 EUR so I'll order it on my country local auctioning website and give it a try tommorow. What concerns me is that everything inside the keyboard looks just perfectly fine.

4. sw0rmz

sw0rmz is a Trusted Warez Postersw0rmz Moderator Staff Member Moderator Reverser

Another thing you can try is completely resetting the keyboard. I had to do this twice in the past when config uploads fail https://help.corsair.com/hc/en-us/articles/360025465031-Keyboard-Reset. Have you tried using it on a different computer? Different USB ports? Uninstalling iCUE completely (including drivers)? Throwing out some stuff I would try in this situation.

If you go the alcohol route, make sure it's 99%. 70% is common in drug stores in the states.

5. poEgBcmuyI

Hard reset will require a ticket, I will try it in the meantime, I highly doubt I will receive isopropyl before monday. I tried the other things already.
    Thanks for the advice.

/EDIT

I actually received my shipment today and flooded the keyboard with isopropyl as you suggested. To my absolute astonishment it worked. Thank you very much.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2019 at 23:17
    1 person likes this.